The Telluride market is boutique in nature and superficially appears to be a simple market for an investor to grasp due to a limited number of developments and inventory. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Each neighborhood (10 in total) is as distinctly different as an investor’s needs and desires. Amenity packages, carrying costs, rental potential, appreciation, absorption rates, view, solar exposure, ski access, entitlement processes, and zoning matters are just a few factors that influence second home purchase decisions in various communities.
With over six decades of combined experience, Team TD Smith has intrinsic knowledge to counsel any investor in a direction that ideally matches his or her criteria for acquisition of a mountain property.
THE TEAM / ACCOUNTABILITY X 3
Embarking on his Telluride Real Estate career in 1971, TD Smith has passionately participated, first in the re-birth and development of Historic Telluride, then subsequently in 1981 as a co-founder of Telluride Real Estate Corp. with the Telluride Ski and Golf Company. As co-owner of the marketing arm of the Telluride Mountain Village’s master developer, TD had a vital and inceptive influence behind the Villages beginning, as well as many other regional developments in which he was involved as broker or principal. TD’s excellent reputation in the industry was recently recognized by his peers when the “Lifetime Achievement Award” was bestowed upon him.
Further, that reputation is exemplified in consistently placing him in the top producing tier of regional Brokers of distinguished, upscale properties and the astute clientele he represents. His long standing business philosophy is to build lasting relationships with his clients by identifying and sharing their desire to be intimately involved in a mountain community, whether for leisure, investment or both.
TD and his wife of over 40 years raised their family in the Historic Town of Telluride and have maintained active in all facets of the community from charitable organizations to government board positions. When asked about retiring his response is, “I wake up every day with new challenges and love cultivating positive changes in my clients’ lifestyles. Retirement is a cop out and more, or less, accepting defeat.”
Chris Sommers, a licensed real estate broker with Telluride Real Estate Corp. since 2001 and partnered with TD at that time.
- A Kansas native, Chris attended the University of Kansas and Emporia State University. He graduated with a degree in Business Administration and is an alumni member of the Sigma Chi fraternity.
- Currently, Chris served as the 2019 Past – President for the Telluride Association of Realtors and previously the President, President Elect and MLS Director for the same association.
- For his outstanding contributions, he was awarded the 2018 Realtor of the Year by his peers and the Telluride Association of Realtors.
- Since 2018, he has been serving on the Telluride Lizard Head Hockey Club Board of Directors. The Telluride Youth Hockey Club continues to advance the philosophy of “creating GREAT people who are good hockey players.”
- Chris’s philosophy of building lasting relationships and providing unparalleled market knowledge with excellent customer service is the key to success. As an established, professional broker his focus has been on the most upscale and opulent homes, condominiums and ranches for his buying and selling clients. This success is achieved only through constant communication with his clients through the latest technology of developing market trends, studying Google Analytics of his numerous luxury websites and identifying target markets for his clients.