Imagine waking up to a view of the snow-capped mountains. You head to the open-plan living room and crack a window open for a whiff of the mountain air as the coffee brews in the luxurious full kitchen. Then you sit by the fireplace, mug in hand, happy that you booked a condo in one of many high-end resorts hotels in Telluride, CO.
Now, imagine being able to enjoy this peace and quiet any time you want, with full access to the hotel’s amenities and 24/7 services. What a dream!
This is the advantage of owning a condo in Telluride’s resort hotels.
In this article, we’ll list the top resort hotels in Telluride, CO where you can do just that.
Table of Contents
How Telluride became the ski town of choice
Telluride was once the summer camping grounds of the indigenous Ute Indian People before the gold rush turned this spot at the foot of the San Juan Mountains into the Columbia mining camp in the 1870s. By 1878, the mining camp turned into the town of Telluride.
In the 1890s, the railroad industry brought in more immigrants seeking a better life through mining, and the population grew to 5,000 people. However, this growth slowed down when silver prices crashed in 1893 and was further stunted by World War I. The population soon dropped to the hundreds.
Decades later, Telluride rebranded into a ski town when the Telluride Ski Resort opened in 1972. Closely after, the town drew in even more tourists with the festivals and arts and entertainment events that complemented the skiing and alpine ambiance.
And Telluride hasn’t looked back since.
Resort Hotels in Telluride, CO
Staying in Telluride, CO should feel like you’re already home, so make sure to pick a hotel that offers award-winning services and quick access to the rest and relaxation you’ve been looking for.
To help you out, here is our list of top condominium hotels in Telluride, CO or in nearby Telluride Mountain Village:
Camel’s Garden Hotel
250 W. San Juan Avenue, Telluride, CO
Camel’s Garden is a stone’s throw away from the San Miguel River and River Trail, securing a breathtaking view of the mountains and surrounding forests for their guests and residents. Located right in Telluride, CO, Camel’s Garden lets you live closer to the ski slopes than if you lived elsewhere. The hotel is also two blocks away from shops and restaurants and is right next to the Gondola, so you can easily get a ride to the fun at Telluride Mountain Village.
When you own a property in Camel’s Garden, you have access to these spacious condos:
- 1 bedroom. At 930 square feet, this condo has one bedroom with a king bed, one bath, and a full kitchen with state-of-the-art appliances. It also has a deck with a view of the San Miguel River.
- 2-bedroom. This 1,027-square-foot condo boasts lots of natural light. The primary bedroom has a king bed with a bathroom, while the second room has a queen-sized bed.
- 2-bedroom deluxe. Expect a space with two bedrooms and 2.5 baths. Each room has its own bathroom, with the second room housing two twin beds for the kids. The living room boasts a view of Bear Creek and connects to a large dining room and kitchen.
- 3-bedroom. At almost 2,000 square feet, this condo has vaulted ceilings and a view of the Gondola Plaza. Its third bedroom has a twin bed with a trundle in case your child brings along their best friend for a sleepover.
- 4-bedroom. Measuring 2,800 square feet, this is the largest condo in Camel’s Garden Hotel. The master bedroom has vaulted ceilings and a huge master bath, while the second room has its own fireplace. Each of the smaller rooms also has its own bathroom. Outside the condo is a deck that connects to the kitchen, dining area, and living room, so you can enjoy a view of Telluride wherever you are in the condo.
As a Camel’s Garden Hotel resident, you also have access to these amenities:
- The spa. Relax with a good massage and facial at the Camel’s Garden spa.
- A reputable restaurant. Enjoy cocktails and barbecue at the hotel’s popular restaurant called Oak, The New Fat Alley.
- Gear rentals. Rent outdoor sports and ski gear from Telluride Sports or the nearby Bootdoctors.
- A hot tub and sauna. Soak in the resort’s 25-foot outdoor hot tub while enjoying the cool mountain air; then, detox at the sauna.
Madeline Hotel and Residences
568 Mountain Village Blvd, Telluride, CO
Part of the Auberge Resorts Collection, the Madeline is a Forbes Travel guide five-star resort in Telluride Mountain Village. It offers several residences to suit your tastes, including:
- A vast 4-bedroom penthouse residence. This almost 4,000-square-foot condo enjoys a view of the mountains and holds a private office in case you want to check in on the office during your vacation. It also has a gas fireplace, a full kitchen, and a washer and dryer. If you want to focus on relaxing, the condo has access to the hotel’s housekeeping, maintenance, and babysitting services, so you can enjoy your complimentary fitness classes in peace. At the end of the day, you can soak in the outdoor heated pool while looking out at the mountains.
- A luxurious 1-bedroom condo. At 1,200 square feet, this condo has a full kitchen, a living and dining area for lounging about, and a gas fireplace. You can also enjoy a warm cup of cocoa on the balcony. Like the penthouse residence, this condo gives you access to hotel amenities, including the M Studio for fitness classes, the spa, and the 20 Below Kids Club.
When you live in the Madeline, you can connect with the concierge to arrange your ski itinerary or your ultimate outdoor adventure with activities like:
- Fly fishing
- Roasting s’mores by the fireside
- Horseback riding
You can also enjoy the Madeline’s private food tastings or opt for a good meal and drinks at:
- Black Iron Kitchen and Bar. Enjoy seasonal delicacies and hearty meals in this casual dining restaurant. Who can say no to a wagyu double-patty burger?
- Timber Room. Enjoy cocktails, whiskey, and wine over shared plates after a long day of skiing or hiking.
- Grab a quick cup of coffee or cocoa before you head out for another adventure around Telluride, CO.
Peaks Resort and Spa
136 Country Club Dr. Mountain Village, CO
Another ski-in/ski-out location is the Peaks Resort and Spa in Telluride Mountain Village, which offers luxury penthouses to its discerning clientele.
If you want to own a condo in one of the top resort hotels in Telluride, CO, you should consider:
- Residence 830. Also known as The “TipTop” Penthouse, Residence 830 is a three-story penthouse on the 10th floor of the Peaks. It has 4 beds and 4 baths and offers a 270-degree view of Mount Wilson, the Telluride Golf Course, the Telluride Ski Resort, and the San Sophia Range.
- Residence 728. Choose Residence 728 if you want a front seat to beautiful Mount Wilson sunsets every day. Living here also lets you enjoy 2 beds and baths and a full kitchen. If you want quiet time, you can also maximize the main bedroom’s hot tub with jets.
As a resident in the Peaks Resort and Spa, you also have access to these amenities
- A full-service spa
- Heated pools and lap pools
- A fitness center
- A salon
- A holistic wellness center
- Great dining experiences at Altezza at the Peaks and Silver Pick Coffee.
And when you want to enjoy the outdoors, you can always connect with the front desk to book:
- A slot at the Telluride Golf Club
- A stand-up paddle boarding lesson at Trout Lake
- A class at the Telluride Racquet Club
- A tandem paragliding session
457 Mountain Village Blvd,Telluride, CO
For couples looking for condos at resort hotels in Telluride, CO, Mountain Lodge in Telluride Mountain Village offers spacious residences, such as:
- 2-bedroom condos. At 950 square feet, this condo has a king bed in the main bedroom, two fireplaces, and a bathroom complete with jetted tub. The second bedroom has a queen-sized bed and its own bathroom. In the common areas, you will enjoy a full kitchen, a spacious living and dining area, and a balcony with a great view.
- 2-bedroom deluxe condos. Just like the 2-bedroom condo, the deluxe version has a primary bedroom, kitchen, and living area with similar amenities. The difference here is the second room, which has two double beds instead of a queen-sized bed, perfect for couples bringing their kids along for the trip.
Mountain Lodge also offers 3-, 4-, and 6-bedroom luxury log cabins with access to premium hotel services, like:
- Grocery shopping assistance
- Babysitting services
- Personalized catering
Living in Mountain Lodge also gives you free admission to a shuttle heading to the Gondola, the Telluride Mountain Village Market, and Telluride Mountain Village Core. And if you choose to stay in for the day, you have the option to enjoy steak and cocktails at The View, the hotel’s premiere restaurant with a view of the San Sophia Ridge from its 30-foot floor-to-ceiling windows.
Lumière with Inspirato
118 Lost Creek Ln, Telluride, CO 81435
Our final entry in this list of top resort hotels in Telluride, CO is the Lumière with Inspirato, one of Condé Nast’s best hotels in Colorado.
The resort offers 18 ski-in/ski-out residences for lease with access to the same services as hotel guests. The plus side of living in Lumière is that the hotel also offers property management services to keep your condo in good condition while you’re away.
If you’re looking for a condo in Lumière, consider getting:
- A 3-bedroom village view residence. This spacious 2,000-square-foot condo has 2.5 -baths. You can even whip up your own gourmet meal in the chef’s kitchen while enjoying a view of Telluride Mountain Village.
- A 2-bedroom penthouse. When you relax in this 1,622-square-foot condo, do it in the property’s private hot tub with a view of the Sneffels Highline.
- A 1-bedroom hotel residence. If you want a cozier space, get a 1,0500-square-foot, 1-bedroom condo with a king bed, gas fireplace, and a chef’s kitchen. If you’re expecting guests, the living room has a sofa bed, while the dining room can seat six.
Out and about in Telluride, CO
With a population of a little over 2,000, Telluride, CO is a peaceful ski community at the foot of the San Juan Mountains. It is a master-planned National Historic Landmark District with well-preserved Victorian buildings. You can find these vintage structures along the Town Core that branch out into trails, and shop-lined streets and condos that add to the neighborhood’s small-town appeal.
In the winter, resort hotels in Telluride, CO attract ski enthusiasts who enjoy the hotels’ five-star amenities and ski-in/ski-out locations, In warmer months, the ski community becomes a destination for creatives and outdoor aficionados, who are drawn by the area’s music and film festivals, white river rapids, lush forests, camping grounds, fishing spots, hot springs, rock climbing adventures, and hiking trails.
Adding to Telluride’s charm is its gondolas system, which connects the ski slopes with Telluride’s neighboring communities. Built in 1996 to encourage better air quality in the area, “the G” encourages residents and visitors to use the gondolas to get around town instead of driving.
So, for no cost at all, you can take a 13-minute ride to Telluride Mountain Village with an overhead view of the town, the San Juan Mountains, the mesas, and the waterfalls before you shop around the plaza or head to a bike trail.
Where else in the world can you say you take a gondola to do the groceries?
Living in the nearby town of Telluride Mountain Village
Near the ski slopes of Telluride is the ski town’s younger sibling, Telluride Mountain Village. Here is where the resort hotels in Telluride, CO converge and cater to their clientele’s hobbies.
In Telluride Mountain Village, you are near:
- The Telluride Ski and Golf Company. You will find the headquarters of the company largely responsible for a great Telluride ski experience in Telluride Mountain Village.
- The Telluride Golf Course. This 18-hole, par-70 golf course is surrounded by nature and covers more than 6,000 yards at an altitude of over 9,000 feet, making it one of the highest golf courses in the world.
- Telluride Ski and Snowboard Club. Since 1985, this club has been giving children a chance to excel in skiing and snowboarding as a sport. They have also added figure skating to their roster of classes.
Telluride Mountain Village is also the center of activity, where commerce and lifestyle meet. Here, you will find resort hotels surrounded by boutique shopping opportunities, luxury developments, and new government offices. A 14,000-square-foot grocery store is also in the works to make it easier for the community to get their everyday needs.
And, when you own a condo in one of many high-end resort hotels in Telluride, CO, you have easy access to the Mountain Village Center, a location packed with events, lifestyle brands, and outdoor recreation.
The Village Center is divided into these plazas, each with their own contribution to daily life in Telluride, CO:
- Market Plaza. You will find the Telluride Mountain Village Town Hall here as well as other local government offices. You can do your grocery shopping here and hop on a gondola to head to the ski slopes. If you come in by car, you can park at the plaza’s Gondola Station Parking.
- Heritage Plaza. This is Telluride Mountain Village’s true center. It is a plaza lined with restaurants and shops as well as different activities to entertain the kids and to liven up your nightlife at the end of the day.
- People come here for ice-skating and for family-friendly activities, such as Movies Under the Stars and Music on the Green.
- Sunset Plaza. Drop in to enjoy the sunset while sipping on a drink and enjoying tunes from the Sunset Concert Series.
Real estate in Telluride, CO
If you’re interested in Telluride, CO and ways in which you can achieve a good return on investment, listen to the advice of a trusted real estate professional.
After all, as one of CNN Traveler’s top ski resorts in the US and Canada in 2019, Telluride remains a desirable destination, with growing interest in the downtown urban lifestyle that nearby Telluride Mountain Village offers.
So, when you invest here, you have the chance to own a home in one of the many resort hotels in Telluride, go on a getaway at a moment’s notice, and rest easy in the thought that you can eventually sell a perennially hot property at a profit.
But before you invest in Telluride’s mountain lodging, you’ll need to consult a Realtor with mountains of experience.
TD Smith is the first elected president of the Telluride Association of Realtors and a recipient of the organization’s Lifetime Achievement Award. He has been a pioneering real estate broker in Telluride, CO for over 50 years, leading our team and helping our clients successfully sell their investment properties and find their dream home
To access TD Smith’s expert insights, call or text 970.729.1577 or contact our team here. Let’s make your mountain living fantasy a reality today.