Perched high up the San Juan Mountains and sitting so close to Telluride, Mountain Village is a top choice for 5-star hotels and lodging. You’ll be minutes away from everything the area has to offer, including world-class ski runs, upscale dining, and other outdoor activities you can enjoy as the seasons change in this alpine landscape.
We rounded up the best luxury lodging in Mountain Village and nearby Telluride for you, plus other travel recommendations, so you can make the most out of your holiday in this slice of paradise in southwestern Colorado.
135 San Joaquin Rd, Mountain Village, CO
Tucked away amid tall pine trees, Bear Creek Lodge is the quintessential Western-style mountain lodge in the area. The gondola and market are both about a 10-minute walk away.
Bear Creek Lodge has condominium-style guest rooms, the largest of which feature 4 bedrooms. The lodge also has “lock-off rentals” that come with their own private entrance. These lock-off rentals are usually 1-bedroom suites ideal for couples and small families.
Regardless of where you stay, all rooms at Bear Creek Lodge feature en-suite bathrooms, king or split-king beds, granite finishes, and kitchenettes with all the essentials. The 1- to 4-bedroom condos also have separate living areas, balconies, and gas fireplaces. Both condo-style rooms and lock-off rentals are pet-friendly!
- Heated pool and hot tubs: Bear Creek Lodge has an outdoor heated pool that is open year-round, plus a couple of hot tubs nearby. This area also features day beds and lounges for maximum relaxation.
- On-demand shuttle service: If you want to explore Mountain Village, you can take the free shuttle service that goes around town. Stops include the gondola and Mountain Village’s market.
- Fitness and spa facilities: Bear Creek Lodge’s on-site gym is fully equipped with weight training and cardio equipment. Meanwhile, the spa has an indoor hot tub, massage rooms, a steam room, and a sauna so you can take a break after a day out on the slopes.
- Socials: There are a few spots throughout Bear Creek Lodge where you can hang out with your group and meet other guests. The fire pit is perhaps the most popular place to be, where you can sip hot chocolate or a glass of wine as you warm up by the fire. There is also a great room with plenty of seating and spaces for board games. Finally, Bear Creek Lodge has a game room that is exclusively for kids.
567 Mountain Village Blvd, Mountain Village, CO
Sustainable luxury is what Fairmont Heritage Place – Franz Klammer Lodge is all about. Located a short walk from the gondola, this lodge is well-known for its environmentally friendly initiatives and white-glove service.
Instead of the usual guest rooms and suites, Franz Klammer Lodge has 2- to 3-bedroom luxury residences that can accommodate from 6 to 8 guests. These residences range from 1,400 sq. ft. to 1,800 sq. ft. and feature king beds with premium linens, jetted spa tubs and steam showers, fully functional kitchens, gas fireplaces, balconies, and more. If you’re traveling with young children, you can request for cribs and high chairs.
- On-site spa:At Franz Klammer Lodge, you can relax and rejuvenate at the Himmel Spa. Treatments on offer include luxury facials, full body treatments and massages. The Himmel Spa also has separate treatment rooms, indoor and outdoor heated pools and hot tubs, a dry sauna, an oxygen lounge, and a eucalyptus steam room. You can sign up for yoga, meditation, and fitness classes at the spa’s wellness center, which is also equipped with weights and cardio equipment.
- Complimentary services: You’ll be well taken care of at Franz Klammer Lodge through a variety of complimentary services, including airport transfers, valet parking, ski and golf valet, and coffee and tea services. If you don’t have time to plan your Telluride trip, you can have the concierge plan your trip and have groceries delivered to your residence before you arrive.
- Pet policy: Pets are welcome to stay at Franz Klammer Lodge. You can bring up to 2 pets for an additional charge of $20 per pet. Just let the concierge know before your scheduled arrival.
119 Lost Creek Ln, Mountain Village, CO
Recognized as one of the best luxury lodges in Mountain Village by numerous publications like Condé Nast Traveler and Forbes Travel Guide, you know you’re in good hands at the Inn at Lost Creek. This luxury boutique hotel is a year-round favorite, but it’s especially in-demand during wintertime.
One of the things that make the Inn at Lost Creek highly sought after is its limited number of guest suites available. There are only 32 suites in the hotel, ranging from studio-type rooms to 2-bedroom suites. These accommodations range from 400 sq. ft. to over 1,000 sq. ft.
The Inn at Lost Creek’s suites feature in-room amenities like king and queen beds with 450-thread Pratesi linens, sleeper sofa beds, stone gas fireplaces, jetted tubs and steam showers, and fully equipped kitchens with granite finishes. Most of these suites also have balconies where you can admire the views and breathe in fresh mountain air.
- Daily breakfast buffet:Before you hit the slopes or the trails, enjoy a full breakfast courtesy of the Inn at Lost Creek. Each accommodation comes with complimentary daily breakfast for 2 (4 for 2-bedroom condos).
- Ski valet, rentals, and boot lounge: Rent ski equipment and grab a snack or a hot drink before you go at the ski valet and boot lounge. After hitting the slopes, the ski valet will take care of your skis and boots so you can rest straight after. It’s one of the reasons why the Inn at Lost Creek is considered the premier ski-in/ski-out lodge in Mountain Village.
- Wellness center and spa:Staying at the Inn at Lost Creek comes with complimentary access to the Spa and The Peaks Resort. Some of its features include Roman and hot tubs, several dry saunas, separate spa lounges for men and women, oxygen treatments, an indoor-to-outdoor pool, a fitness lap pool, and a full-service salon.
118 Lost Creek Ln, Mountain Village, CO
Located at the base of Lift 4, Lumière with Inspirato is one of the top choices if you want to stay at a hotel in Mountain Village with a ski-in/ski-out location. From this luxury boutique hotel, the slopes are literally within your reach.
Lumière with Inspirato has some of the largest lodgings in all of Mountain Village and Telluride. The hotel has residence-style accommodations that include studio deluxe rooms to 5-bedroom penthouses. Room sizes range from 300 sq. ft. to 3,715 sq. ft.
The studio deluxe bedrooms have in-room features such as king beds with Egyptian cotton linens, kitchenettes with tea and coffee implements, and luxury bathrooms with designer products. Meanwhile, the larger suites and luxury penthouses have chef kitchens, gas fireplaces, balconies with mountain or village views, primary bathrooms with steam showers and soaking tubs, and separate dining areas.
There are only 18 of these luxury hotel residences at Lumière with Inspirato, and all of them are pet-friendly. A minimal additional fee is required per day per pet, but it comes with pet care services and specially made dog treats.
- Black Tie ski valet and rentals:All of your skiing needs will be taken care of courtesy of Lumière’s partnership with Black Tie Ski Rentals, a local ski outfitter. Prepare a day before hitting the slopes by arranging equipment fittings at your suite. They have everything, from gloves to ski clothing. This way, you can avoid the long lines and head straight to the lifts.
- In-room massage and body treatments:At Lumière, there’s no need to head to the spa to relax. The spa will come to you. Treatments offered include full-body massages and acupuncture sessions with GrandMaster Thomas Forman, a licensed acupuncturist and Nationally Certified Master of Traditional Oriental Medicine.
- Plunge pools and hot tubs: Open day and night, Lumière’s plunge pools and hot tubs are the perfect retreats after spending an entire day exploring the mountains. There are separate warm plunge and cold splash pools that can keep coming back to help increase your blood flow and circulation. Should you feel light-heated (what with the temperature change and the elevation), the concierge desk can help you.
- Concierge desk: Lumière’s concierge desk is open 16 hours a day and can provide you with a bevy of services, including babysitting, restaurant reservations, private chef arrangements, medical referrals, transportation, and other area needs.
568 Mountain Village Blvd, Mountain Village, CO
Part of the Auberge Resorts Collection, Madeline Hotel & Residences promises a complete deep dive into the Telluride experience. And we don’t doubt it. Between their collection of guest suites and curated experiences, you’re definitely in for a treat.
Madeline Hotel & Residences feature 3 types of accommodations: guest rooms, suites, and residences. The guest rooms come in different configurations (the largest being the King Balcony), but each and every room feature classic Alpine-inspired design, premium in-room amenities, and floor-to-ceiling windows for picture-perfect views.
Meanwhile, Madeline’s suites are ideal for bigger groups, offering up to 1,655 sq. ft. of comfortable living space up the San Juan Mountains. These suites come in 1- to 2-bedroom floor plans and feature rustic fireplaces, kitchenettes, separate living rooms, balconies, and soaking tubs.
Finally, Madeline Hotel offers “rarified ski homes.” These ski-in, ski-out residences range from 1- to 4-bedroom accommodations with full gourmet kitchens, private outdoor living spaces, gas fireplaces, up to 3,900 sq. ft. of space, and in-residence services like housekeeping and dining. You can rent a Madeline residence for your ski holiday or purchase your own. Read more about it here.
- 5-star on-site dining: Madeline Hotel & Residences is home to the Timber Room, their fine-dining on-site restaurant. You can enjoy apres-ski cocktails at the bar and feast on a mountain-inspired dinner menu featuring Rocky Mountain elk loin with huckleberry and jus, wild salmon with lemon caper, and other standout dishes.
- Luxury wellness retreat: Book a session with one of Madeline Hotel’s expert therapists to enjoy locally inspired body treatments and therapies at the on-site spa. Some of the most highly recommended treatments include their hot-river stone massage to relax your muscles and their deep-targeted body treatment to relieve pressure points.
If you want a more active approach to wellness, you can head to the fitness studio. Apart from the complimentary morning classes you can join, the fitness studio also offers private and group instruction pilates and yoga classes.
457 Mountain Village Blvd, Mountain Village, CO
Mountain Lodge Telluride is more than just a luxury lodge. It’s a full-out mountain resort, 14,000 ft. (4,267 meters) up in the San Juan Mountains. The wide range of accommodations, not to mention on-site dining and special events, ensure that Mountain Lodge Telluride has many patrons.
There are 4 types of accommodations at Mountain Lodge Telluride, all of which capture the mountain spirit and Western-style hospitality this area is known for. First are the 185 sq. ft. lodge rooms that are perfect for solo travelers and couples, as well as guests who are only stopping by Telluride for a day.
Mountain Lodge Telluride’s suites, regardless if you’re booking a junior, 1-bedroom, or 2-bedroom suite, have luxury in-room features like private balconies, jetted soaking tubs, cozy living rooms, and gas stone fireplaces. Some of the suites also have full kitchens and separate dining areas.
If you prefer a slopeside accommodation, check out Mountain Lodge Telluride’s rental condos. These are usually 2-bedroom units that are perfect if you want the ski-in, ski-out experience. In-room features include fireplaces, private balconies, full baths, full kitchens, and jetted tubs.
Now if you want to go big, we recommend the luxury log cabins. These private cabins come in 3- to 6-bedroom floor plans that feature superior pine cabinetry, gourmet kitchens, luxury finishes like marble and granite, and native stone gas fireplaces. These luxury log cabins are also located slopeside, surrounded by mountain vistas.
- Outdoor pools and tubs:No Colorado mountain retreat is complete without outdoor heated pools and tubs. The ones at Mountain Lodge Telluride are open all year round, allowing you to admire the stunning mountain views no matter the season. Poolside food and beverages are available.
- Ski-in, ski-out features: Mountain Lodge Telluride offers a variety of ski-in, ski-out amenities to enhance your overall skiing experience. This includes complimentary shuttle service to the gondola, discounted rates for ski rental equipment at Christy’s Sports, overnight ski storage, and self-service ski valet. You can also trust the attendants to give daily recommendations on which ski runs to take depending on the mountain and snow conditions.
- Outdoor equipment rentals: As you know, Telluride can also be enjoyed once the snow has melted. You can rent Jeeps, paddle boards, mountain bikes, and other summer outdoor equipment at Mountain Lodge Telluride—just let the concierge know.
More about Mountain Village
When is the best time to go?
While June to August and November to April are considered the peak seasons, Mountain Village and Telluride can be enjoyed all year round. In fact, we recommend visiting during different seasons to fully appreciate what the San Juan Mountains has to offer.
If you want to avoid the crowds during the summer and ski season, it’s best to go during early June/late August or mid-November/late April. The sweet spots between April and June as well as September and November are great times to visit if you want to save and experience spring and fall up in the mountains. Take note, however, that most businesses tend to close during the low season.
Winter, spring, summer, and fall—in Mountain Village and Telluride, you can do it all!
- Winter is the prime time for snow sports like skiing, snowboarding, Nordic skiing, and ice climbing. You can also go on sleigh rides, try ice fishing, or ride the trails on fat bikes.
- Spring is short and sweet up in the San Juan Mountains. It can also be muddy and wet. But if these conditions don’t deter you, try hiking and watch the mountainsides turn greener and greener. Several festivals also take place during this time of the year, including the Telluride Balloon Festival.
- Summer turns Mountain Village and Telluride into the ultimate playground for outdoor enthusiasts. There is a long list of activities to do, including cross-country hiking, mountain biking, fly fishing, river rafting, 4×4 off-roading, golfing, rock climbing, camping, paragliding, and trail running.
- Fall turns the San Juan Mountains into a colorful wonderland. It’s during this time when the world-famous Telluride Film Festival takes place, as well as Telluride Blues and Brews Festival. You can still go hiking under the thick fall foliage, which tends to be short-lived in these parts. If you stay until mid-November, you might catch the start of ski season and get to try the ski runs before anybody else.
T.D. Smith is your guide all things Mountain Village and Telluride, CO
Let T.D. Smith show you how you can enjoy life in Mountain Village and Telluride, CO to the fullest. Get in touch with him today at 970.729.1577 or TD(at)TDSmith(dotted)com for more information about the area and Mountain Village, CO real estate.